Billy Currington Message Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hall of Fame lineman Bob St. Clair dies
sherry2018love

info.gif posted on 11-28-2017 at 04:34 AM
Hall of Fame lineman Bob St. Clair dies

Hall of Fame offensive tackle and 49ers legend Bob St. Clair, whose raw meat diet and tough-as-nails reputation made him famous in the early days of the NFL, died Monday. He was 84.The University of San Francisco, where St. Clair played collegiately, confirmed his death in a statement.MORE: Remembering those who have pa sed in 2015St. Clair Latavius Murray Jersey , a 6-9, 270-pound behemothduring his playing days, spent the entirety of his 11-year profe sional career with the 49ers. He was drafted by the team in the third round in1953 and become a fixture ofthe offensive line charged with blocking for the"Million Dollar Backfield," includingquarterback Y.A. Tittle and running backs John Henry Johnson, Hugh McElhenny and Joe Perry.All fivewere eventually inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.A five-time Pro Bowler, St. Clair was the last of the groupto make it to Canton in 1990. He was best known for his Seth Roberts Jersey toughne s, spending a portion of his career playing in a leather helmet. According to SFGate.com, hebroke his nose at least six times, Mike Remmers Jersey twice tore his Achilles' tendon andonce remainedin a game after a blocked kick knocked out five of histeeth.While at USF, St. Clair helped the Dons to an undefeated 9-0 season in 1951. That team was most known for declining an invitation to a bowl game that season because itstwo African-American playerswould not have been allowed to play.St. Clair was also known off the field for his appetite for raw meat, earning him the nickname"The Geek," after a character in the 1947 movie "Nightmare Alley."My grandmother used to Seantrel Henderson Jersey feed me raw meat off the kitchen table, St. Clair said one time when asked of his habit. I grew to love raw liver and hearts, bird hearts, dove and quail.Before his Hall of Fame induction, when asked if the players of his era could compete in the modern NFL, St. Clair said,I dont think the question should be, 'Could we play today?The question is, 'Could these candy a ses have played with us?

Go To Top